Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
2 Tbl grape seed oil
1 medium onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 1/2 c. chicken broth (Herb-Ox offers real herb, real flavors and other natural flavors)
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, to taste
1 (15oz.) can tomato sauce
1- (19oz.) can enchilada sauce (or two 10oz. cans)
3 large chicken breasts
1 (15oz.) can navy beans
2 c. frozen corn
cheese sauce ingredients:
1/2 lb of mild cheddar cheese
1 c. sour cream
1/2 c. chicken broth
3 cubes of chicken bouillon
16 smal corn tortillas (6 inch diameter)
1 c. shredded colby-jack cheese
substitution for cheese sauce: 16 oz. of Velveeta cubed
Directions1. In a skillet, heat grape seed oil over medium heat and sauté onions until tender.
2. Add minced garlic and sauté for five additional minutes.
3. Transfer onion and garlic to crock pot, add remainer of main ingredients, except for the chicken, corn and navy beans. Cook on high heat for 1 1/2 hours.
4. Add chicken, corn, navy beans and cook on high heat for another 1 1/2 hours.
5. Prep cheese sauce or skip if using Velveeta (directions below for cheese sauce)
6. Add prepared cheese sauce (or cubed Velveeta) to crock pot and cook on low an additional 30 minutes.
7. During the last 30 minutes, prep tortilla strips (directions below).
8. Gently stir until smooth and serve in bowls.
9. Top the prepared bowl with the prepped fried tortilla strips for garnishing.
10. Sprinkle with the grated colby-jack cheese and serve.
Directions for cheese sauce:
Into a blender, add the 1/2 c. of chicken broth, sour cream, and the 1/2 lb of mild cheddar cheese (cut cheese into slices for easier blending). Blend on high until smooth. Transfer cheese sauce from blender to a sauce pan. Add crumbled chicken bouillon cubes. Cook on medium heat while continuely stirring so that sauce does not burn or stick. Once you can see that the cheese is melted remove and set aside until needed.
Directions for tortilla topping:
Optional for serving, add a dolip of sour cream, pico de gallo and/or cubed avocados.
Tip for leftovers; *after serving the meal, store the fried tortilla strips in a zip lock baggie to keep crispy for additional servings the next day.